Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Importing Grades From Schoology Into Progress Book









Download the grade file from Schoology.

Go to Gradebook ->select the options dropdown box -> select export from the list.

Export Gradebook as CSV (select first radio button) -> press Next









Select a location to save.








In a separate file compile a list of student ids

Save that file!







Insert a blank column to the right of the student id and open the CSV file that was downloaded from Schoology in Microsoft Excel. Arrange the windows to be side-by-side.

Find the column containing the assignment you wish to copy. Select the column from the Schoology .csv file you downloaded, select copy,
then select column B of your Excel file containing userid numbers. Paste the grades into column B.
Save the file with student IDs as file type .CSV. I save my file {assignment_name.CSV}.

MUST save as CSV.

I do several assignments at a time copy the column with the scores into column B (next to the ids) save as {assignment_name.CSV}. When you are ready to import the marks into Progress Book login to progress book. Create the assignment if it’s not already created (my assignments are generally already created so I can post them to the homework page), after the assignment is created and points are assigned and it is saved you can select the Marks tab.

From the marks tab, select the Import the Marks link.

Choose the file that contains your marks (you just saved it .CSV -> select Yes to the first row contains headers questions -> Press Import the marks button. Once Marks import select save. If there are no values for a student in Schoology fill-in with Missing/Excluded/or a 0 after saving. Repeat as much as needed!

2 comments:

  1. I'm using a old LMS that lets me import students names and student ID numbers. That way when I export my .csv, I don't have to deal with Student ID numbers before importing to my gradebook. I wonder if there's a way for Schoolology to allow student ID numbers? Maybe use the ID instead of a name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Schoology does allow unique ID numbers but I use their free version so I don't have this option. The unique ID option is available with the Enterprise (paid) version. I included a link from Schoology. Hope this answers your question https://support.schoology.com/hc/en-us/articles/200927468-Import-Users-with-a-CSV-XLS-File-Enterprise-

    ReplyDelete